Email has been widely accepted and the most predominant communication medium in business for decades. While businesses have traditionally kept to email for professional reasons, the prevalence of text in our personal lives has been an influential driver for companies of all sizes to adopt business text messaging as part of their communication strategy. For some, it’s an easy, cut and dry decision to implement business text messaging. For others, it’s a more difficult decision as email is a tried and true practice.
We thought we’d provide a good old fashion pros and cons list for those who are still weighing the decision to implement business text messaging in conjunction with established communication practices. Keep reading to discover the benefits and considerations of business text messaging.
- Did you know that 97% of all text messages are opened and responded to? When you take into consideration that most text messages will be responded to within 90 seconds of being read, it’s clear that text messaging has excellent engagement rates. Often times, these high engagement rates will lead companies to incorporate business text messaging in their daily practices.
- Text messaging is the preferred communication medium. There is no need for businesses to guess whether customers prefer email or text messages; the fact is, there is a place as well as a need for both. Business text messaging allows customers to interact with your company in a way that they can choose, when it is convenient for them.
- Text is easily accessible and does not require a Wi-Fi connection which means it can be accessed virtually anywhere.
- Business text messaging creates a real-time communication environment. In this, customers are less inclined to call your help desk and more likely to have a better customer experience. It also means that B2C texting services create measurable efficiencies for customer service reps by enabling them to multiple task – communicating both professionally and efficiently.
- Improved process efficiency is a benefit when implementing business text messaging. The less time and effort it takes to complete a task or waiting for a response, the more customers you can serve. With business text messaging, many processes are streamlined.
- Business text messaging provides your business another way to personalize the customer experience to build loyalty by sending timely and relevant information. Providing a personalized and convenient experience with your customers builds trust, and trust leads to loyalty.
- Texts must be brief. Customers simply aren’t interested in reading long text messages, so it’s critical that texts are short. Any in-depth customer service conversations, especially those that involve upset customers, are often better conducted over email or even phone.
- Sending too many business text messages can be annoying and feel intrusive. If businesses send too many marketing texts in addition to vital communications like notifications or using text for a two-way dialogue, consumers can get frustrated and ask to be removed from all texting or communication lists. Companies that successfully use business text messaging will send a message with purpose and value to the customer.
- It’s not free. Using a business text messaging service will cost money. If your customer does not have a plan that allows unlimited texts, it’ll cost them money, too.
- Tone can be misinterpreted through text. As business text messaging has evolved, this has become better, but there is room to not interpret the tone of a text correctly. If you think there’s any chance your meaning won’t properly be conveyed through a text, it’s probably better to just pick up the phone and have a conversation.
Business text messaging is certainly more and more common, and frankly with good reason. The pros far outweigh the cons. Text is one of the most expedient and reliable ways to reach your audience. Your customers are already very comfortable with text as they use it in their personal lives, let them engage with your business the way they prefer and are accustomed to. Implementing a texting service for business is key to staying relevant and evolving with your customer preferences.
TextBetter™ is a business texting service that makes it easy to send or receive texts from your landline number. Our cloud-based service effortlessly integrates into your existing business model, without having to install new software or change how you do business. Through our three separate product offerings, we proudly cater to organizations of all sizes: TextBetter Team, TextBetter Business, TextBetter Enterprise.